Public Workstation Policy
The mission of the J. Otto Lottes Health Sciences Library is to serve the students, faculty, and staff of the Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Health Professions, and the patient-care, research and administrative aspects of the entire health enterprise, including the University Hospitals and Clinics. As such, the public computers found mainly on the 2nd floor are to be used by those patrons affiliated with the University of Missouri. There are two public computers set up for non-affiliated patrons who wish to do research on medical related subjects or are family/friends of patients of the University of Missouri Health Center who need internet access.
The University has official policies regarding acceptable computer use. The following is considered unauthorized use and is prohibited:
- knowingly or carelessly performing an act that will interfere with the normal operations of computers, peripherals or networks
- attempting to circumvent data protection schemes or uncover security loopholes
- using the network to gain unauthorized access to any computer systems
- masking the identity of an account or machine, which includes, but is not limited to, sending email anonymously
- attempting to monitor or tamper with electronic communications of other users, or reading, copying, changing, or deleting files or software of other users
- using a computer account that you are not authorized to use
- use of computer equipment for over excessive recreational purposes such as game playing or social networking sites.
Library staff may intervene to ensure optimal access to computers for educational and research purposes.